Jim Rohn was an American entrepreneur, author, and motivational speaker widely regarded as one of the pioneers in the personal development and self-help industry. Throughout his career, Jim Rohn became known for his insightful and motivational speeches, imparting timeless wisdom and practical advice on success, personal development, and goal setting. His teachings often focused on the power of mindset, discipline, and continuous learning as key components for achieving one’s goals and building a fulfilling life.
In this post today, we’re going to explore some of the most famous Jim Rohn Quotes and the meanings behind them.
1. Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. – Jim Rohn
This quote emphasizes the importance of both motivation and habits in achieving success. Motivation serves as the initial driving force, inspiring action. However, the establishment of positive habits is crucial for sustained progress and continued success over the long term.
2. Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment. – Jim Rohn
Jim Rohn highlights the pivotal role of discipline in bridging the gap between setting goals and actually achieving them. Discipline involves consistent effort, self-control, and adherence to a structured plan, essential for turning aspirations into tangible accomplishments.
3. Either you run the day or the day runs you. – Jim Rohn
This quote underscores the concept of taking control of one’s life. It suggests that individuals have the choice to be proactive and direct their actions or to passively let external circumstances dictate their day. By being in charge, one can better shape their own destiny.
4. If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse. – Jim Rohn
Jim Rohn points out the power of genuine desire in overcoming obstacles. When a person truly wants to achieve something, they will exhibit determination and resourcefulness to find solutions. Conversely, lack of genuine commitment often leads to the creation of excuses for not acting.
5. Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day. – Jim Rohn
This quote suggests that success is not necessarily the result of complex strategies but rather the consistent practice of simple, positive habits. By incorporating disciplined actions into daily routines, individuals can steadily progress toward their goals and ultimately achieve success.
6. We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment. – Jim Rohn
Jim Rohn highlights the inevitable challenges in life and the choices we face. Either we endure the discomfort of discipline, putting in the necessary effort to achieve our goals, or we experience the enduring pain of regret and disappointment for not having taken disciplined action.
7. Don’t wish it were easier. Wish you were better. – Jim Rohn
This quote encourages a mindset shift from wishing for easier circumstances to focusing on personal growth. Instead of seeking an easier path, Rohn advocates for self-improvement, suggesting that becoming better equipped to handle challenges is a more effective approach to achieving success.
8. For things to change, you have to change. – Jim Rohn
Jim Rohn emphasizes the fundamental principle that personal growth and transformation are essential for bringing about change in one’s life. If you desire different outcomes or results, the key is to start with yourself, as change begins at an individual level.
9. Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune. – Jim Rohn
Rohn distinguishes between formal education, which helps secure a living, and self-education, which has the potential to lead to significant wealth. The quote underscores the value of continuous learning and the pursuit of knowledge beyond traditional educational settings.
10. Focus on the solution, not on the problem. – Jim Rohn
This quote emphasizes the importance of adopting a proactive mindset. Instead of dwelling on problems, Rohn advocates for directing attention towards finding solutions. By focusing on resolving challenges, individuals can overcome obstacles and make progress toward their goals.
11. Don’t wish it was easier wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenge wish for more wisdom. – Jim Rohn
Rohn advocates for a mindset focused on personal development and skill acquisition. Rather than wishing for life to be easier or problems to be fewer, he encourages individuals to strive for self-improvement, increased skills, and greater wisdom to better navigate challenges.
12. Work harder on yourself than you do on your job. – Jim Rohn
This quote underscores the importance of self-development. Rohn suggests that dedicating more effort and time to improving oneself, both personally and professionally, is key to long-term success and fulfillment.
13. You have two choices: You can make a living, or you can design a life. – Jim Rohn
Rohn presents a dichotomy between simply earning a living and actively designing a meaningful life. The quote encourages individuals to take control of their destiny, make intentional choices, and create a life that aligns with their values and aspirations.
14. Don’t wish for less problems; wish for more skills. – Jim Rohn
Similar to a previous quote, Rohn emphasizes the value of acquiring skills as a proactive response to life’s challenges. Instead of hoping for fewer problems, he suggests focusing on personal growth and skill development to effectively address and overcome difficulties.
15. You don’t get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the importance of providing value in one’s work. Rather than merely focusing on the time spent, he highlights that true compensation comes from the quality and impact of the work or services rendered, underlining the significance of delivering value to others.
16. If you don’t like how things are, change it. You are not a tree. – Jim Rohn
Rohn encourages a proactive approach to life. If you’re dissatisfied with your current situation, he suggests taking action to change it. The metaphorical reference to not being a tree implies that individuals have the freedom to move and make choices, unlike a tree rooted in place.
17. Success is doing ordinary things extraordinarily well. – Jim Rohn
This quote emphasizes that success often stems from mastery of basic, everyday tasks. Rather than seeking extraordinary endeavors, Rohn highlights the importance of excelling in ordinary activities, showcasing a commitment to excellence and diligence.
18. There are two types of pain you will go through in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tonnes. – Jim Rohn
Rohn contrasts the discomfort of discipline with the much heavier burden of regret. He suggests that the temporary challenges of discipline are far lighter than the long-term weight of regret that comes from not taking necessary actions to achieve one’s goals.
19. When you know what you want, and you want it bad enough, you’ll find a way to get it. – Jim Rohn
This quote emphasizes the power of clarity and strong desire. If you have a clear goal and a strong enough motivation, Rohn believes that individuals will naturally find a way to overcome obstacles and achieve what they want.
20. The difference between where you are today and where you’ll be five years from now will be found in the quality of books you’ve read. – Jim Rohn
Rohn highlights the significance of continuous learning and personal development through reading. He suggests that the knowledge and insights gained from quality books contribute significantly to personal growth and, consequently, to the trajectory of one’s life over time.
21. Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the proactive role of change in improving one’s life. Instead of relying on luck or random events, he encourages individuals to initiate positive changes to bring about personal growth and a better life.
22. The more you know, the less you need to say. – Jim Rohn
his quote underscores the value of knowledge and wisdom. Rohn suggests that individuals who are well-informed and knowledgeable tend to speak less because they prioritize meaningful and impactful communication over unnecessary words.
23. Successful people have libraries. The rest have big screen TVs. – Jim Rohn
Rohn draws a contrast between the habits of successful people and those who may not be as successful. The quote suggests that successful individuals prioritize continuous learning and intellectual pursuits (symbolized by libraries), while others may focus on more passive and entertainment-oriented activities (symbolized by big screen TVs).
24. Happiness is not by chance, but by choice. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the active role of personal choice in achieving happiness. Rather than relying on external circumstances or luck, he asserts that individuals have the power to choose happiness by making positive decisions and cultivating a positive mindset.
25. The major key to your better future is you. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes personal responsibility for one’s future. The quote suggests that individuals play a central role in shaping their destinies, and positive change and improvement begin with self-awareness, self-discipline, and personal development.
26. Time is more value than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the irreplaceable nature of time. While money can be earned or acquired, time is finite and once spent, cannot be recovered. The quote encourages individuals to prioritize how they spend their time, recognizing its unique and precious nature.
27. You must either modify your dreams or magnify your skills. – Jim Rohn
Rohn addresses the relationship between dreams and skills. If achieving a certain dream seems challenging, he suggests two options: either adjust and modify the dream or enhance and magnify one’s skills to match the aspirations. This quote underscores the importance of both adaptability and skill development.
28. If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary. – Jim Rohn
Rohn advocates for taking risks and embracing the unconventional. By being willing to step outside one’s comfort zone and pursue the unusual, individuals open themselves up to the possibility of achieving extraordinary success rather than settling for a more predictable and ordinary life.
29. Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live. – Jim Rohn
Rohn underscores the importance of physical well-being. The body is the only vessel we have for navigating life, and the quote encourages individuals to prioritize their health, recognizing that a healthy body is essential for overall well-being and a fulfilling life.
30. Don’t let your learning lead to knowledge. Let your learning lead to action. – Jim Rohn
Rohn highlights the practical application of knowledge. Instead of simply accumulating information, he encourages individuals to translate their learning into meaningful action. The quote emphasizes the transformative power of putting acquired knowledge into practice to bring about positive change and success.
31. You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. – Jim Rohn
This quote underscores the influential nature of one’s social circle. Rohn suggests that individuals tend to adopt the qualities, behaviors, and values of the people they spend the most time with, emphasizing the importance of choosing positive and influential companions.
32. Success is something you attract by the person you become. – Jim Rohn
Rohn shifts the focus from external achievements to personal growth. The quote suggests that success is not solely about acquiring external accomplishments but is a byproduct of the qualities, skills, and character traits an individual develops on their journey to success.
33. The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly. – Jim Rohn
Rohn provides a comprehensive guide to effective leadership. The quote outlines the delicate balance leaders must maintain in various qualities, highlighting the importance of strength, kindness, boldness, thoughtfulness, humility, pride, and humor without crossing into negative extremes.
34. You cannot change your destination overnight. You can change your direction. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the gradual nature of change. While immediate transformation may be challenging, individuals have the power to alter their course and make decisions that lead them in a different direction, ultimately shaping their future destination.
35. Without a sense of urgency, desire loses its value. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the importance of urgency in pursuing goals. The quote suggests that a strong desire or ambition loses its impact without a sense of urgency, as timely and decisive action is crucial for turning aspirations into reality.
36. Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune. – Jim Rohn
Rohn draws a distinction between working hard solely in a job to earn a living versus investing effort in personal development. The quote suggests that while hard work at a job sustains a living, dedicating effort to self-improvement can lead to greater wealth and success.
37. If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the importance of intentional life planning. Without actively designing and pursuing one’s own life goals, individuals risk being subject to the plans and agendas of others, which may not align with their own aspirations.
38. The few who do are the envy of the many who only watch. – Jim Rohn
This quote highlights the contrast between those who take action and achieve their goals (“the few who do”) and those who merely observe or wish for success (“the many who only watch”). Rohn suggests that active participation and pursuit of goals set individuals apart from passive onlookers.
39. Miss a meal if you have to, but don’t miss a book. – Jim Rohn
Rohn underscores the importance of continuous learning. The quote suggests a prioritization of intellectual nourishment through reading, even to the extent of sacrificing a meal. It emphasizes the value of acquiring knowledge and wisdom for personal development.
40. Set a goal to become a millionaire for what it makes of you to achieve it. Do it for the skills you have to learn and the person you have to become. – Jim Rohn
Rohn encourages setting ambitious financial goals not just for the monetary outcome but for the personal growth and development that occurs in the pursuit of such goals. The focus is on the skills acquired and the transformation of character in the journey towards achieving significant milestones.
41. You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the importance of personal responsibility. While external factors may be beyond one’s control, the quote highlights the power individuals have to change themselves, adapt to circumstances, and take charge of their own growth and development.
42. Learn how to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want. – Jim Rohn
This quote encourages a balanced perspective on contentment and ambition. Rohn suggests finding happiness and satisfaction in the present, appreciating what one has, while simultaneously pursuing future goals and aspirations. It promotes gratitude and a positive mindset.
43. One of the greatest gifts you can give to anyone is the gift of attention. – Jim Rohn
Rohn highlights the value of paying attention to others as a significant gift. This quote emphasizes the importance of being present, actively listening, and showing genuine interest in others, recognizing the positive impact such attention can have on relationships.
44. Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure. – Jim Rohn
Rohn metaphorically associates excuses with the construction of failure. The quote suggests that making excuses for one’s shortcomings or inaction contributes to the building of a path towards failure. It underscores the importance of taking responsibility and avoiding the habit of making excuses.
45. Leadership is the challenge to be something more than average. – Jim Rohn
Rohn defines leadership as the challenge to rise above average and embrace a higher standard. The quote encourages individuals to strive for excellence and standout qualities, emphasizing that leadership involves pushing oneself to be more, achieve more, and inspire others to do the same.
46. Discipline weighs ounces and regret weighs tons. – Jim Rohn
Rohn contrasts the relatively lighter burden of discipline with the significantly heavier weight of regret. The quote suggests that the effort and discomfort of discipline, although challenging, are far less burdensome than the profound weight of regret that comes from not taking necessary actions.
47. Motivation alone is not enough. If you have an idiot and you motivate him, now you have a motivated idiot. – Jim Rohn
Rohn humorously highlights the limitation of motivation without a foundation of competence or intelligence. The quote underscores the importance of combining motivation with knowledge and skills to achieve meaningful results, rather than relying on motivation alone.
48. Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying basic fundamentals. – Jim Rohn
Rohn demystifies success, attributing it to the consistent application of fundamental principles. The quote emphasizes the significance of consistently practicing basic, foundational habits and strategies as a key to achieving success in any endeavor.
49. How long should you try? Until. – Jim Rohn
This quote encourages persistence and determination. Rohn suggests that the duration of one’s efforts should extend until the desired goal is achieved. The open-ended nature of “Until” underscores the idea that individuals should continue striving until they succeed.
50. You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the importance of personal responsibility and the ability to effect change within oneself. While external circumstances may be beyond control, the quote underscores the power individuals have to adapt, grow, and take charge of their own development despite external factors.
51. Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the proactive nature of happiness. Rather than delaying or waiting for future circumstances to bring joy, he suggests actively designing one’s life to cultivate happiness in the present. It underscores the importance of intentional choices and a positive mindset.
52. It isn’t what the book costs. It’s what it will cost you if you don’t read it. – Jim Rohn
Rohn highlights the value of investing in education and self-improvement through reading. The cost of a book is not just its monetary price, but the potential missed opportunities and personal growth if one neglects the knowledge and insights within it.
53. Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day; while failure is simply a few errors in judgment, repeated every day. It is the accumulative weight of our disciplines and our judgments that leads us to either fortune or failure. – Jim Rohn
Rohn contrasts success and failure as outcomes of consistent disciplines or repeated errors in judgment. The quote emphasizes the cumulative impact of daily habits and decisions, suggesting that small actions and choices, when repeated over time, lead to either success or failure.
54. If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much. – Jim Rohn
This quote underscores the importance of taking control of one’s life and actively planning for personal goals. Rohn warns against the consequences of falling into someone else’s plan, which may not align with one’s own aspirations.
55. We generally change ourselves for one of two reasons: inspiration or desperation. – Jim Rohn
Rohn identifies the common motivations for personal change. Individuals often undergo transformation either when inspired by positive influences, goals, or role models, or when faced with desperate circumstances that necessitate change. The quote highlights the power of external inspiration or internal desperation in driving personal growth and change.
56. The ultimate reason for setting goals is to entice you to become the person it takes to achieve them. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the transformative nature of goal-setting. Setting ambitious goals is not just about achieving specific outcomes but also about personal growth and development. Goals serve as a catalyst, motivating individuals to become the kind of person capable of accomplishing those goals.
57. Don’t just read the easy stuff. You may be entertained by it, but you will never grow from it. – Jim Rohn
Rohn encourages a commitment to challenging and meaningful reading material. The quote suggests that while easy or entertaining content might be enjoyable, true personal and intellectual growth comes from engaging with more substantial and thought-provoking material.
58. Success Recipe: 2 cups faith, 2 cups love, 1 cup hard work, 1 cup persistence, 1 tbsp vision and a dash of swagger. – Jim Rohn
Rohn presents a metaphorical recipe for success, emphasizing the combination of essential ingredients such as faith, love, hard work, persistence, vision, and a touch of self-confidence. The quote underscores the multifaceted nature of success and the importance of a well-rounded approach.
59. Everything you need for better future and success has already been written. And guess what? All you have to do is go to the library. – Jim Rohn
Rohn highlights the wealth of knowledge available in books and the accessibility of resources for personal and professional development. The quote suggests that the keys to a better future and success can be found in the knowledge and insights already written and readily available, encouraging individuals to seek information at the library.
60. Managers help people see themselves as they are; Leaders help people to see themselves better than they are. – Jim Rohn
Rohn distinguishes between the roles of managers and leaders in shaping individuals. Managers focus on the current state, helping people understand their existing capabilities. Leaders, on the other hand, inspire individuals to see their potential and encourage them to become better versions of themselves.
61. Discipline is the foundation upon which all success is built. Lack of discipline inevitably leads to failure. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the pivotal role of discipline in achieving success. Discipline serves as the bedrock for building a successful life, while its absence increases the likelihood of failure. The quote underscores the importance of consistent effort, self-control, and commitment.
62. My father taught me to always do more than you get paid for as an investment in your future. – Jim Rohn
Rohn reflects on a valuable lesson from his father, highlighting the principle of going above and beyond in one’s work. The quote suggests that exceeding expectations and investing extra effort not only benefits the immediate task but also serves as an investment in personal and professional growth over time.
63. The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized – never knowing. – Jim Rohn
Rohn addresses the regret and consequences of not taking action or pursuing one’s desires. The quote emphasizes the importance of trying, taking chances, and avoiding the silent pain of wondering what might have been.
64. What is powerful is when what you say is just the tip of the iceberg of what you know. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the strength of knowledge and wisdom. The quote suggests that true power comes when spoken words represent only a fraction of one’s depth of understanding and insight. It underscores the idea that one’s words should be backed by a wealth of knowledge.
65. There’s no telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There’s no telling what you can do when you believe in them. There’s no telling what will happen when you act upon them. – Jim Rohn
Rohn highlights the transformative potential of setting and pursuing goals. Inspired by goals, fueled by belief, and acted upon, individuals can achieve remarkable feats. The quote underscores the positive impact of clear goals in driving motivation and success.
66. If you just communicate, you can get by. But if you communicate skillfully, you can work miracles. – Jim Rohn
Rohn emphasizes the impact of effective communication. While basic communication may suffice for basic needs, skillful communication has the power to achieve remarkable outcomes and create positive transformations. The quote underscores the importance of honing communication skills for greater influence.
67. Failure is not a single, cataclysmic event. You don’t fail overnight. Instead, failure is a few errors in judgement, repeated every day. – Jim Rohn
Rohn deconstructs the concept of failure, portraying it as a result of consistent poor decisions rather than a sudden and dramatic event. The quote underscores the importance of daily choices and the cumulative impact they have on success or failure over time.
68. Good service leads to multiple sales. If you take good care of your customers, they will open doors you could never open by yourself. – Jim Rohn
Rohn highlights the business principle that exceptional customer service is a catalyst for long-term success. By prioritizing customer satisfaction and building positive relationships, businesses can generate repeat sales and benefit from word-of-mouth referrals, expanding opportunities beyond individual efforts.
69. Giving is better than receiving because giving starts the receiving process. – Jim Rohn
Rohn expresses the reciprocal nature of giving and receiving. The act of giving initiates a cycle where generosity often leads to receiving in various forms. The quote suggests that by being generous and giving, individuals open themselves up to the flow of positive opportunities and experiences.
70. Personal development – the never ending chance to improve not only yourself, but also to attract opportunities and affect others. – Jim Rohn
Rohn defines personal development as a continuous opportunity for self-improvement. The quote highlights the dual benefits of personal growth: enhancing oneself and creating opportunities, as well as positively influencing others. It encourages individuals to embrace the ongoing process of personal development for lasting positive effects.
Jim Rohn’s insights, often grounded in the principles of discipline, responsibility, and continuous learning, serve as timeless guideposts for those seeking success, fulfillment, and personal growth. His teachings transcend mere motivation, delving into the fundamental aspects of character, mindset, and the deliberate choices that shape one’s destiny. Rohn’s legacy endures through these quotes, challenging individuals to take charge of their lives, set meaningful goals, and embrace the never-ending journey of self-improvement. As a pioneer in the field of motivation and personal development, Jim Rohn’s words continue to inspire and empower, offering a roadmap for those on the quest for a more purposeful and prosperous life.